Homemade Vegan Oat Granola
You'll love this recipe of super delicious and easy-to-make homemade granola for when you're having a sweet tooth craving for something not too sugary! It only takes about 15 minutes to prepare and can be stored in a jar in the fridge to keep ultimate freshness. Makes for a delicious topping to smoothie bowls, cereal, vegan yogurt, or just like that as a snack (I literally eat it alone with a spoon.)
-2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (preferably organic)
-2-3 tbsp coconut oil (room temp or melted)
-1/4 cup chia seeds
-1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
-1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
-1/4 cup sunflower seeds
-1/3 cup chopped almonds
-1/4 cup chopped cashews
-3 tbsp pure maple syrup
-1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (vegan, of course)
* Seeds and nuts are optional and of your preference for added health benefits and yummy flavour.
* Side note: you can get most of the ingredients at a bulk store which is sometimes easier than finding each item in a grocery store.
1) preheat oven to to 300° Fahrenheit (I use my toaster oven)
2) add coconut oil to the baking pan -- I place the room temp coconut oil in the pan into the heated oven for a couple of minutes to let it melt without the use of a microwave
3) mix in all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, and add the maple syrup at the end
4) press the oats, nuts, seeds into the bottom of the pan to form an even layer
5) bake for 8-10 minutes, be careful not to over-cook because it could come out tasting like burnt popcorn
6) remove from heat and let cool
7) once cooled, crush it up with the opposite end of a spoon or fork, put it into a jar
8) add the chocolate chips and shake it up to equally disperse the chocolate chips (v. important step)
Best part - you get to know that every ingredient in your granola is natural and pure, and you control the amount of sugar that goes in it.
Hope this little recipe makes your tastebuds happy!